Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, – James 1:17
(Note: This was originally written in 2014. Some links and offers may not be current. I’ll be going through and updating as I am able. If you notice something wrong, please let me know so I can get to it quicker.)
I received the World Vision holiday gift magazine this afternoon. Normally, we look through it, think of things we’d like to donate, and set it down and pretty much forget it. I’m sorry to say, that’s the truth!
Today, however, I couldn’t let it rest. I thought of all the things that people are in need of, and how blessed we are. I obsessively began searching and pulling links from the web.
So here we are.
Are you considering a selfless gift this year? Is your family sitting on some extra money, or extra items, just waiting to be put to some good use?
God has blessed us with so much. Not monetarily, but we always somehow have food in our bellies, clothes to wear, and a roof over our heads.
It’s better to give than to receive, and it’s even better to give without the expectation of receiving anything in return!
We don’t have much, but my sons definitely wanted to do this for real this year. We really wanted to send a goat, but that’s a bit steep for us. We decided to send 3 ducks and a Bible in the family’s own language. Seeing the Bible on the list made us all so excited! Can you imagine the joy of a family having their very own Word of God, to read in their very own language? What a priceless gift!
1) Help a child/family from World Vision
- a Bible, in the child’s own language for only $18!
- one rabbit for $19
- a solar lamp for only $20
- 3 ducks for only $21
- a net to protect children from malaria for only $21
- emergency food for children in Africa for only $25
- a share of a fishpond (you go in partway) for $25
- loving care for an orphan for $25
- urgently needed clothing for American kids for only $25
- 2 chickens for only $25
- clean water for only $25
- school supplies for only $25
- 5 fruit trees for only $30
- 5 ducks for only $35
- clothing for children to be able to go to school for only $35
- hope for a sexually exploited girl for only $35
- education for a girl for only $35
- a share of a sheep (you go in partway) for only $35
- medicine for $50
- a share of a cow (you go in partway) for $50
- a goat for $75
- a share of a deep well (you go in partway) for $100
2) Sponsor a child through
- Every Child’s Hope
- Unbound (You can also sponsor a teen, an adult, or an elderly adult!)
- World Vision
- Compassion International
- Little Angels Uganda
3) Donate to a research foundation
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Diabetes Action
- St Jude
- American Diabetes Society
- Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
4) Donate glasses to a child or person who would otherwise go without
Donate your old pair through
5) Donate a used car to
- Purple Heart Service Foundation
- Kars 4 Kids (They now also accept boats!)
- Habitat for Humanity’s Cars for Homes
- Make a Wish Foundation’s Wheels for Wishes
- Red Cross
6) Donate shoes to
7) Donate food (or money for food) to
- Ample Harvest
- Feeding America
- Feed the Children
- Food to Donate
- Forgotten Harvest
- Hunger Task Force
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- World Food Bank
- or check out your local food bank! We have several churches in the area that offer food pantries, and the “big” one around the city is Wheeler Mission Ministries–such a blessing to SOOO many!
8) Donate a variety of things to
9) Give a gift twice! Your purchase helps others!
10) As always, PRAY for those around you. Keep those in need in your prayers.
I may add more to this as I find other resources and links. If you have any ideas, let me know in the comments!